Home > Academics > Academic Units > Faculty of Interdisciplinary Sciences & Engineering > Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge System
Shiksha Mantri Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank announced the Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems (CoE-IKS) to be set up at IIT Kharagpur for INTER-DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH on various branches of the Indian Knowledge Systems. Accordingly, the Center of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems (CoE-IKS) has been established to bring forth a comprehensive research, development and outreach base for promotion of various domians of IKS. The domains range from Indian history to advanced archaeological exploration; from Indian language systems to aesthetics systems; from Indian systems of geometry and mathematics to cosmology and positional astronomy; and from Indian constructs of ecological and working ethics, law to Indian systems of welfare economics and planning, which are to name a few only.
Prospective post-graduate candidates with initial matching backgrounds and qualifying GATE/ NET/ other scores may apply for their Doctoral Research (Ph.D.) in the following areas (Autumn session):
1. Arthashastra (Indian system of Welfare, Environmental, Behavioral and Ecological Economics)
2. Sanskrit (Sanskrit for Natural Language Processing and other Lingua)
3. Samkhya, Ganita and Jyamiti (Indian system of Numbers, Mathematics and Geometry)
4. Rasayana (Indian Chemical Sciences)
5. Ayurveda (Indian Biological Sciences)
6. Jyotir-tatha Mahajagatika Vidya (Indian systems of Positional and Astronomical Sciences)
7. Prakriti Vidya (Indian system of Terrestrial/ Material Sciences/ Ecology and Atmospheric Sciences)
8. Nandan Tathya tatha Vastu Vidya (Indian system of Aesthetics-Iconography and built-environment/ Architecture)
9. Nyaya Shastra (Indian systems of Social and Ecological Ethics, Logic and Law)
10. Shilpa tatha Natya Shastra (Indian Classical Arts : Performing and Fine Arts)
The CoE-IKS will target a full scientific recovery of various domians of IKS to best advance the contemporary national development of India within the futuristic framework of National Education Policy (NEP 2020), Government of India.
Based on 'INTER-DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH', senior students, research scholars and Post-Doc Fellows are invited to join the Center of Excellence for Indian knowledge Systems (CoE-IKS), which will integrate two worlds, the traditional Indian past and the modern scientific world, with right overlaps between the two. The historic meeting points of patron-sage Swami Vivekananda with Scientists Nikola Tesla, Herman Helmholtz, and Lord Kelvin in Chicago 1893; and further meetings between World poet and Nobel laureate Gurudev Rabindranath Thakur and Scientist Werner Heisenberg (1929 in Kolkata) and Sir Albert Einstein (1930 in Berlin) are the important precursors. Furthermore, a making of the American Institute of Integral Studies, the Esalen Institute in California, and the triple contributions coming from Sir Arnold Toynbee, Professor Alan Watts and renowned Trans-personal psychologist Abraham Maslow, soon after Dr. Haridas Chowdhury introduced the works of Sri Aurobindo to the West, are the latest landmarks. Eventually in 2004, CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, one of the world's largest and most respected centres for scientific research has accepted the non-linear causal pattern behind India's ageold concept of space-time-causation and change (Karya-karan-vada of the Vedas and Pratyud-samutpada of Buddhism) in the form of a dancing Cosmic Purusha, i.e., Shiva or Nataraj, which stands for a deeper non-local reality behind our surface existence. From that point-onward, IKS has secured worlwide acceptance, and IIT Kharagpur now makes a historical landmark to pave an integral (normative-positive) evolutionary course of IKS for our better future, and make a great dream come true.